Atmail is pleased to announce the general availability of Atmail 7.4. This release includes many improvements that you have been asking for and it is now available for download in your client portal.
Organizing your folder is now made easier with our new folder manager. You can access it by clicking on the cogwheel at the top right of the folder arborescence. The folder manager interface allows you to add, edit or empty your folders and subfolders. (You can now also click on “Folders” in the left menu to collapse or view the entire folder tree).
Before Atmail 7.4 you couldn’t log simultaneously into the webmail and the mobile interfaces. With the multi-session support it is now possible and you may switch from one device to another without logging in and out each time.
Great news for those of you who love to use the right click to save time on tasks. Atmail 7.4 now supports right click on your email list, your folders in the left-menu and on the message lists when in 2 or 3 Pane views. This gives you quick access to actions such as replying, forwarding, moving messages and adding sub-folders.
New Accessibility UI
A significant new feature of Atmail 7.4 is a complete overhaul of the Mobile User Interface so as to meet accessibility standards. The new accessibility interface can be used on mobiles, tablets and standard web browsers on both PCs and Macs. The mobile-friendly accessibility UI is a significant move towards meeting the W3C Web Accessibility Initiative Guidelines and thereby also the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) guidelines. Specific conformance with these standards will be announced with future releases. Significant accessibility features available with Atmail 7.4.0 include:
- A design that supports OS X VoiceOver so that non-sighted users can use webmail. For non-OS X systems, other voice browsing tools will also benefit from the new design.
- Keyboard-only navigation and short cut keys so that the accessibility UI can be used without a mouse
- A structural redesign that makes the accessibility UI available to numerous browsing tools that do not rely on standard navigation such as screen readers, etc.
Atmail 7.4 also includes a range of other new features and improvements, including:
- A new “Push” architecture for ActiveSync
- Refactored Authentication Systems
- New password hashing modes including salted sha 256 and 512, blowfish.
- Improved ability to manage mailboxes that have exceeded their quota.
- Trash button can be configured to detele rather than “move to trash”.
- Admins can choose to enable end-user access to an “empty” button for folders.
- UTF-8 Support
- ActiveSync / DavSync Improvements
- Calendar Improvements
- Password / Session encryption and storage
- Empty Folder Option,
You can find the full list of changes in our changelog page.
Atmail 7.4 is a large release with many changes. We strongly urge customers to be careful when upgrading their system. Please note the following points:
- Atmail 7.4 incorporates the code changes provided in Atmail 7.3.2, which include significant database schema changes specific to the user table. Please backup your database prior to implementing this upgrade.
- Please also be aware that this upgrade may take significantly more time to complete than usual.
- Back up Dovecot. We can’t stress this enough as we are recompiling your dovecot installation to include new password hash processing.
- Back up your Dovecot/exim configuration files. We are reprocessing your configuration settings and will write out new configuration files.
- Ubuntu users please be aware that we currently support Ubuntu versions 11 and 12 only. The installer will not work on versions 13 or above at this stage. We are currently working to support version 13+.
- Important to communicate to customers that below Outlook settings needs to be changed in order for UTF-8 to work with Atmail DavSync. FILE > Options > Advanced > International Options > Preferred encoding for outgoing vCards > Unicode (UTF-8).
- Atmail now supports emails received from Outlook in winmail.dat format with .xlsx attachments. There are some dependencies required here (Ubuntu and CentOS installs require the “tnef” package to be installed).
- Outlook users, please download and install the latest AtmailSync package. If you experience the multiple-calendar “This Computer Only” issue, please remove and re-add your account to Outlook.
- To install the latest ActiveSync technology, you need to get the .gz file extract the content under the /usr/shared/push folder after that just run the install.php script.
- Please note that as from now on, we are dropping support for Outlook 2007.